Author Topic: Visualino project, Roboblocks, forum  (Read 5226 times)

Víctor R. Ruiz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Visualino project, Roboblocks, forum
« on: 2015-October-31 12:54:59 am »
Andrew (AMOsPL) sent me an email, that I will answer here, as it may be useful to others :)

2. Forum registered me without typical handshake: email with link to complete registration process - this is your accept meanwhile or hole in security?

I begun with relaxed security and has been (learning the bad way how to) improve it. Now it requires email confirmation and admin approval.

1. My knowledge of Github is weak and I cannot use some of adavnced features because of my Windows XP systems. I translated some Roboblocks files to PL and my "pull of request" is waiting for acceptance now. But there is your branch of Roboblocks for Visualino on Github as separate way to include this subsystem into Visualino. Should I send changing proposals direct to you or wait for original Roboblocks project masters acceptance to integrate these?

Your pull request for Visualino was merged right away. The problem is that you forked the upstream Roboblocks project, that I have no direct control (I know the guys who run it)... I have sent them back the contributed translations. So it's better if you send them directly to my branch, as I can directly merge the code.

2. In my knowledge Original Blockly has no do-While statement and, as I see, Roboblocks project copies its features 1 to 1. So, this looks like purity over usability. Lack of do-While/Until loop is essential for creating effective source code, especially for Arduino. Am I wrong, misunderstood something, big lack of knowledge? Maybe I try to go too far and Roboblocks' contributors cannot accept this because of some other things unknown to me.

We can add whatever blocks we need on our Roboblocks branch, for example, I recently added a setup() block. Currently a while() block exists, do you think a do while() would be a good addition?

Second minor problem is my last dirty edit of this on Github which I cannot resolve using windows XP - searched and found help how to rollback commit but its serious problem to me how to execute it.

You may want to take a look here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1616957/how-do-you-roll-back-reset-a-git-repository-to-a-particular-commit

3. what is dist\roboblocks.min.js file and how to generate it?

A Roboblocks' build generates two files, a compressend and an uncompress file. To do that, you need to install Node.js, Bower and Grunt, which may not be an easy task in Windows XP, and then follow the instructions to build it in https://github.com/vrruiz/roboblocks I can give you more specific details if you can install those in your setup.

1. do you plan to change Visualino that way it could open many simultaneous projects in many windows and using drag and drop method to move portions of blockly snippets for fast source build from tested blocks? or another way to achieve fast build from tested blockly libraries?

I don't know if Google Blockly is able to copy and paste from different Windows :-/

2. what about fast deleting feature dragging and dropping block into left vertical column - meaning: drop back to block's library? I saw this on one blockly page and i found this method faster than pulling something into trashcan in low right corner, apart of fact that trashcan consumes some place of editor.

It would be a little bit confusing, IMHO. I'm a keyboard person, and like to use Delete key to destroy blocks, and also right-clicking to open the context menu.

3. earlier question: is it plan to build and publish new Visualino version? I have some troubles to complete distribution Visualino pack for Windows using Visual Studio 2010 and QT 5.5

Sure, I will release 0.6 as soon as possible (you have a windows zip in /downloads/beta/, but did it quickly and not sure if it runs 100% fine). For that I wanted to finish adding support for a couple of new blocks (#include, global, execute), and do some bug fixing.

AMOsPL

• View Profile
Re: Visualino project, Roboblocks, forum
« Reply #1 on: 2015-November-23 10:37:33 pm »
Time is brutal. :)

(...) do you think a do while() would be a good addition?
Absolutely necessary. There is no syntactic equivalent to "do while/until()" loop.

1. do you plan to change Visualino that way it could open many simultaneous projects in many windows(...)
Rethinked usability and I see "Import" command with opened multiple instances of Visualino (to view the code before import) is enough at this moment to effectively assemble program from prefabricated blocks.

2. what about fast deleting feature dragging and dropping block into left vertical column - meaning: drop back to block's library? (...)
It would be a little bit confusing, IMHO. I'm a keyboard person, and like to use Delete key to destroy blocks, and also right-clicking to open the context menu.
Keyboard operations should stay unchanged, But I prefer deleting operation with mouse like there: studio.code.org - try Hour of Code with Angry Birds or else, you will see that dragging block back into library unhide trashcan under the block palette. Context menu can be the second option.
So, block code surface will be free from trashcan - this is what I suggest.

I will release 0.6 as soon as possible (...)
Yep, I tried and this beta is far from complete (libraries). Should I attach "visualino_pl-pl.qm" file to Visualino's github project?

I suggest next step improving larger projects edition: vertical mouse scrolling of block's window content and it's synchronisation with C-code window view. Maybe not easy to implement.

Víctor R. Ruiz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-November-25 12:43:15 pm »
Absolutely necessary. There is no syntactic equivalent to "do while/until()" loop.

Ok, I'll add it :)

Keyboard operations should stay unchanged, But I prefer deleting operation with mouse like there: studio.code.org - try Hour of Code with Angry Birds or else, you will see that dragging block back into library unhide trashcan under the block palette. Context menu can be the second option. So, block code surface will be free from trashcan - this is what I suggest.

I'll take a look to studio.code.org, but anyway, I don't know how hard would be to change Google Blockly to do that.

Should I attach "visualino_pl-pl.qm" file to Visualino's github project?

It is already added: https://github.com/vrruiz/visualino/blob/master/ts/visualino_pl-pl.ts Will be available in the next release.

I suggest next step improving larger projects edition: vertical mouse scrolling of block's window content and it's synchronisation with C-code window view. Maybe not easy to implement.

Yeah, I'm not very familiar with the internals of Google Blockly. They have added some interesting features to the recent versions, but Visualino uses bq's fork of Blockly and its Roboblocks. It can be hard to keep them synchronized.

By the way, our friends at bq have created a shiny new block engine to program Arduino, which maybe easier to work with, I don't know. I need to take a look to it.

AMOsPL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2015-November-25 11:44:04 pm »
You may use my blind attempt to add this do_WhileUntil block from Roboblocks' fork on github.

I don't know how hard would be to change Google Blockly to do that.
Yes,  these are optional.

(...)shiny new block engine to program Arduino (...)
Nice to hear.

I found collapse block feature of Roboblocks/Blockly as extremely useful for large project or to hide minor parts of code:
https://blockly-games.appspot.com/turtle?level=10#juvk6i
Nice to see it as collapsed apropriate C-code, maybe this feature will be in future version?

Question (for all other future translators): what is the best procedure to localize sources for fastest implementation in Visualino/Roboblocks? Russian attempt was very fast.

And at the end: do you know visualino.cc homepage, named almost the same and aimed to Arduino too? At first look it's not intuitive for me, maybe for well trained object oriented programmers.

Víctor R. Ruiz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2015-November-27 04:42:22 pm »
Code: [Select]
[quote author=AMOsPL link=topic=9.msg14#msg14 date=1448495044]
You may use my blind attempt to add this do_WhileUntil block from Roboblocks' fork on github.

[quote]Nice to see it as collapsed apropriate C-code, maybe this feature will be in future version?

This is related to the idea of highlight the code generated by the active block. I think it will need some changes to Blockly.

Question (for all other future translators): what is the best procedure to localize sources for fastest implementation in Visualino/Roboblocks? Russian attempt was very fast.

Please, check the comment I did in github. Translations need two files: one for the translation of the blocks (.js file) and one for the translation of the User Interface (.ts file). Then either commit them to github using a fork of Visualino projects or send them to me. What is currently a slow process is making a new releases. I don't have automated builds and generating the packages for all the platforms takes lots of time.

And at the end: do you know visualino.cc homepage, named almost the same and aimed to Arduino too? At first look it's not intuitive for me, maybe for well trained object oriented programmers.

Yes, I recently discovered the page searching "visualino" in Twitter, but I haven't installed it. Same name (which is a pity), but different target, I think.

Víctor R. Ruiz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2015-November-28 08:04:06 pm »
Good news. The do/while block is now in github and will be available in the next release: https://twitter.com/visual_ino/status/670694049184092160 :-)

Víctor R. Ruiz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2015-November-28 11:47:47 pm »
More good news. Your Roboblock's translation is also merged.

Víctor R. Ruiz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2015-November-29 01:03:50 am »

:)

AMOsPL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2015-November-30 12:44:33 am »
Hi!
Thanks a lot. But some comments for perfect next release:

The do/while block is now in github (...)
Please, could you implement complete "doWhileUntil" loop like "whileUntil" for maximum usability/completeness? It's not so far from here.

Your Roboblock's translation is also merged.
Nice to see it. As I see now I must do few minor changes to Roboblocks' translation for better compliance. I'll do it as soon as possible.

Víctor R. Ruiz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2015-December-05 04:00:05 am »
Please, could you implement complete "doWhileUntil" loop like "whileUntil" for maximum usability/completeness? It's not so far from here.

Done! Already available on the code repository. :)